renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Far too long

The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith

I seem to be about the only person who does not like the Cormoran Strike novels. My criticism for this one is the same as for the first one. Strike talks with dozens of people, mostly about things that hardly have to do anything with the story. Then he visits another dozen,  then he visits some of them again and you wonder what all these conversations are about, as part of te story. Meanwhile there are some problems with his assistant, his brother or some other relations, and sometimes they are over again. And so te book goes on and on, without anything of any importance happening. When you have ploughed yourself through about 75% of the book,  suddenly things go into the fifth break and within a few pages you know who did it, which - sadly - is not really surprising. Well, the book took me over a month to read. I had to stop every time after just a few pages because everything went soo sloow and soon I had better things to do. Lucky for most of you, you love the book and you are waiting impatiently for the next one. Happy waiting. I turn to different authors.