renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages
The Magician's Nephew: The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes This is meant to be the first book in the Narnia series, although it was published at the end of the series. There is not the slightest doubt about that, because - among other things - the world of Narnia is being created in this book. I had to get accustomed to the fact that this book clearly is written for children. One has to accept that fact before one can like it. However, most of the story is very interesting and certainly it has more layers. They just could have come forward better if the book had been written for young adults. This having been said, the book has some very beautiful and extremely interesting chapters in its second half. The symbolism is superb there and there I forgot that I was reading a book, meant for children. I doubt if that symbolism will be understood to the group of readers it is meant for. I was so much absorbed in this second half that I will immediately start reading he next book in the series. From the above it should be clear that I do not give the book five stars, but four stars it should certainly have, if read by adults.