renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages
Shattered Crystals - Mia A. Kanner, Frances McGinley This is a very impressive account by a Jewish survivor of the Second World War. The Jewish family is originally living in Germany and in that part the book describes all the false hopes that were given before and during the war to Jewish inhabitants. Of course they have to leave Germany later (and they can), but even in France it is difficult to survive. The family even has to split up in order to make a survival more likely.The writer is not a professional writer, which makes her account very personal and even more impressive. It describes the real situation of Jewish families before during and after the war. One can think what one wants about this book and its limited literary style, but it is the real thing about how they felt and survived in those dark days. Highly recommended.