renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages
The Ashiel Mystery a Detective Story - Charles Bryce This is a straightforward detective story, and I enjoyed it. A murder with a clear suspect by the police and a private detective who has his doubts. There also is some romance, an inheritance and more. I must say that the unmasking the murderer was not a great surprise to me, but some of the other story lines ended quite unepectedly. Anyway, we are of course much more experiences in reading and evaluating detective stories than the people for whom this book was written in the early 20th century. The book is written in a good readable style. I give it four stars.