renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages
The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins A great book by Wilkie Collins. I read everywhere that this book is the first detective story ever written. Well, true or not, it is a good one, especially if one realizes that Collins apparently did not have any example to follow. The book is written as if it is being told by several of the main characters in the story, in succession. This way of writing has been used again by Collins and I find it a very interesting way to tell a story.Of course this book is slow at times, given the time of its origin. One never looses attention, however, and therefore the only "score" it can receive from me is 5 stars.