renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Call down the Hawk

Call down the Hawk - Maurice G. Nicholson This is a great book. The story is good and believable, and it is very well written. In short: it is about an ex-"provo" sniper from Ireland, who has said farewell to this black past of his. But one day his wife is being taken hostage, and then he gets "an offer he can't refuse" to do a job you and I certainly never would like to do. He has to do this job in order to get his life back. Is there an alternative? This is the thriller part of the book. But in between this we become, in parts cleverly put between the story, more and more familiar with his present and past life. Then there is the landscape of Ireland (and some other places in the past of the main character) and his passion: falconry that get attention to break the tension. All these ingredients are mixed into a very strong thriller with well developed characters.The tension grows as the book progresses. And I missed some tasks I had to finish in time while reading the last part. You simply cannot put the book down any more from a certain point on. The five stars I gave are more than earned by this very capable author. I hope to see more from him!