renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

As great as the former books

A Man Could Stand Up... - Ford Madox Ford;Sara Haslam

This is book three from the "Parade's End" tetralogy, and it seems Ford wanted to end the books here. The first part is about Valentine Wannop, hearing, after the war, that Tietjens has returned to England. She decides to go to him and look after him.

Then, in part 2 time goes back a few months and we learn about Tietjens, having been sent to the trenches at te end of the former book, in the dirty trenches war. Here too, because I am not familiar with the army, I had some difficulty in following everything, but nevertheless I found this part gripping.

Ford really is a great writer. As in the former books, much of the facts are told through thougts of the main characters. In the first part Valentine Wannop, and in the second part Christopher Tietjens.

The third parts is set just after the war has ended and shows how some of the characters decide how to fill their lives after the war. The first chapter of this part is really brilliantly written from the mind of Valentine Wallop. I will not give more away, but I would have liked some more details about ow life goes on for certain characters. But probabbly the War is he main character. I will provbably not read the fourth book after all, because Fords writes in the dedication of the fourth book that the story about Tietjens has ended here, as far as he is concerened.

I have discovered a great author, of whose existence I was not aware.