renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Unexpected good read

Lady Audley's secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon

Although this book is 150 years old, the plot is very good, and in most aspects it has survived time. You should consider it as an early detective novel. What I liked very much about the book, is that the reader gets all the information he needs to solve the mystery, during his read. I believe he gets 100%. This is not always the case in more recent novels! So, if you are as clever as the hero, you will discover Lady Audley's Secret together with the hero. Yet the book has enough twists and surprises, if you are not so clever. This is a great read, be it a bit slow and 19th centurish now and then. This fact is fully compensated by the clever plot however.