renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Good thriller

Teken van Leven (Annika Bengtzon #9) - Liza Marklund

Although I read a Dutch translation, and I do not even know the English title, I will write this short review in English.

Short because it is very hard to write much without giving too much away. Annika Bengtzon finds out that her husband has been kidnapped in Africa. We learn that he is not well treated, in fact that he and his companions are trated very badly. A Swedish government official nogotiates for her. Tension becomes higher and higher and this tension has been translaten in text very well. Also it appears that the author did her research very well.

There are several twists that push the tension even higher, until it is almost unbearable.

Near the end there also is an unexpected climax. Or two? Or even three? A very good read. Especially in the last third you cannot put the book down any more and it will take some of your night rest.