renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Difficult to read

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Hapgood Translation, Unabridged) - Victor Hugo, Isabel F. Hapgood

This really is a very difficult book to read. In the first half hardly anything happens. We get extremely extensive descriptions of Paris and the history of it and a tiny bit of plot.

In my first effort I stopped there, wanting to read a story and not an architechtorial and historical description of Paris.

A year or so later I made a second effort, and this time I succeeded in finishing the book. But still the plot went very slow. Up to three quarters of the book there still is not much plot. You have to wait for the last 100, or maybe even the last 50 pages to see the plot unfold. But these last 50 pages contain a great plot and you can't put the book down before you know how everything ends.

Disney fans: what Disney made of this story has hardly anything to do with this book. Forget about Disney completely here.

Having said this, if the book would have 150 or 200 pages four stars would be reasonable. The book being as it is, I wanted to give it two stars. The third star was added by me while reading the last 50 pages.

The low score also has to do with the thin description of some of the main characters. Some are worked out well, others very poorly.