renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

A Pearl from the Past

The Chase of the Golden Plate - Jacques Futrelle

Jacques Futrelle was the American counterpart of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or you could see him as such. He wrote many short detective stories and several short novels. This is one of them, and a fine one.

Simple as the story may seem, Futrelle nevertheless knows how to put us on the wrong leg several times, before we know what really happened.

This small novel is written in a highly entertaining style and keeps our attention to the last page. A detective story that is 98 years old! And it will keep your attention from start to finish. It is a shame that this master of the word died so young. He was one of the people who died in 1912 on the Titanic.