renehasekamp

Rene Hasekamp

I read books (and place a review here afterwards) in the following categories Mystery/Detective, British literature (mostly older books, from Gutenberg.org), Adventure, some Dutch lieterature and more.

My top favorite writers are John Galsworthy, Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, but among my five-star reviews you will also find (debuts of) contemporary writers. A recent example is Gillian Flynn. I mostly read ebooks.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work
Dominic Faulder, Nicholas Grossman
Progress: 96/400 pages
The Jacques Futrelle Megapack: 47 Tales of the Thinking Machine and Others
Jacques Futrelle
Progress: 905/1417 pages

Best thriller in years!

Verloren vrouw - Gillian Flynn

This is the best book I have read in the last few years! I enjoyed it tremendously and could not put it away, after I was past the first half. Then the twists come and you simply must know what happens next.That is about everything I can tell without giving too much of the story away.Some people here haver problems with the ending. Well, I don't. It is the only ending one can think of, knowing all the facts. For me the last surprise in the book was the only one I was expecting fore quite some time. After that any different ending would not be acceptable. Not only the story, but also the way of writing is excellent. The chapters are written in turn by the husband and wife in the book, where useful - or necessary - with a time difference. This way of presenting the story gives it extra tension. Even all the 'inevitable' not always happens, but is changed by a twist.Read this book. If you still like it after 30%, you will see that it is a real pageturner and you can' t put it away any more. Highly recommended.

Note: I have read a Dutch translation, that came upon my way. Hence the cover.